SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNVs WASH initiatives in both a rural and an urban context will provide access to improved drinking water services and/or improved sanitation facilities for 10 million people from 2016 to 2018. Our work improves environmental health by reducing pathways for disease transmission, enhances nutrition – especially in regards to stunting in children- and reduces both untreated human waste and wastewater.
Long-term sustainability lies at the core of our work. We strengthen public governance around WASH services, support institutional changes and capacity, develop financially viable services, and improve asset management of existing WASH infrastructure. This includes strengthening the roles of civil society and the private sector in advocacy and operation, as well as promoting sector and stakeholder dialogue and reflection about changing needs and standards in the light of increasing urbanisation and the Sustainable Development Goals.
SNV has been working in Uganda since 1989 supporting interventions in more than 108 districts in West Nile, Rwenzori, Northeast, South West and Kampala. Our focus is in three sectors: Agriculture; Renewable Energy;and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Our advisory services are in line with Ugandan policies and are tailored for specific Ugandan organisations and districts. SNV Uganda is working in school wash, functionality of rural water supply services and sustainable sanitation and hygiene for all. We are scoping for possibilities in sustainable water supply services in small towns and peri-urban areas.
For more information on our operations in Uganda visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview of the position
SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team in Uganda to further build on SNV’s high quality WASH programme.
The WASH Sector Leader
- Is responsible for the overall quality of WASH programme content, business development, resource mobilisation, steering the quality of technical advisory services, and overall management of the SNV WASH programmes in country;
- Will enhance the quality and visibility of our WASH programmes and position SNV within the national WASH sector.
The WASH Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks;
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
- Programme Management: deliver effective development results, planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative WASH programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local capacity builders and consultants;
- Relationship Management: ensure cordial relationships with variety of partners connecting different processes in a competitive market and identify strategic alliances and networks to invest in;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programmes in line with SNVs internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNVs market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Facilitate learning, documentation and evidence based knowledge development in collaboration with SNVs global team and partners;
- Contribute to SNV as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in WASH service delivery including at least 5 years in a management role, preferably in Africa;
- Experience in urban sanitation; preferably in on-site and non-sewered sanitation;
- International work experience in a senior management position and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in resource mobilisation;
- Demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
- Proficiency in use of a wide range of statistical, geographical Information Systems, software applications, engineering and computer software programs for project design, implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation and information system management;
- Track record on public relations, communication, coordination and networking skills;
- Proven experience in working on results based or output based financing modalities is an added advantage;
- Outward looking and interested in collaboration with others in order to achieve results and impact;
- Established WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
- Proficiency in English required.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Contract Duration: 2 years
Expected Start Date: ASAP
Information Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts.
For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
Applicants are invited to upload their CV and letter before Tuesday, December 11, 2018.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.