Uganda Product Portfolio Manager
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with education and experience, and a strong sense of meaning
Fenix International is a next-generation energy company. Our mission is to transform our customers quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Solar, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments starting under $0.19 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a unique credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans and open up a wider world of energy and financing for our customers.
To date, Fenix has sold over 170,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda and Zambia, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over one million people. In 2017, Fenix announced that it was joining forces with ENGIE, one of the world’s largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. ENGIE will make significant commercial investments in Fenix to accelerate the path to our mission. Fenix will operate as a distinct and autonomous company within the ENGIE group in order to retain our unrelenting focus on innovation, smart iterative design, strong team culture and exceptional customer experience. Together, Fenix and ENGIE plan to bring life-changing energy and financial services to tens of millions of off-grid customers and to make universal access to modern energy a reality across Africa.
About the Role
The Country Product Manager is the voice of the customer. You will — in collaboration with departments across Fenix Uganda– design our product portfolio strategy in order to meet the needs of our customers and our business. You will own the P&L of your product catalogue, leading cross functional teams to increase adoption and reduce costs; all with the aim of increasing affordability for our customers.
You will own the process of adapting, implementing, monitoring, and scaling products sold over our platform. This is an exciting role which requires strategic visioning as well as operational execution, and you have to fully embody one of our core values: Think Big and Make It Happen
Reporting to the Managing Director, you will work cross-functionally with our customer service, operations, sales, marketing, and technical teams on the ground.
- Embody the Fenix values of:
- Exceptional customer experience
- Smart, iterative design
- Inclusive, life-changing products
- Create, curate and own the P&L for your countrys product catalogue and pricing for Solar Home Systems and other upgrades
- Create our product and upgrade strategy at a country-level.
- Design and implement pilot projects to test new products sold over the ReadyPay financial transaction platform, to include, product design, sales and marketing strategy and technology enablers.
- Facilitate a country-wide drive to reducing costs. You will be closer to the pricing model than anyone else on the team and your attention to detail, innovation and drive will allow us to reach more customers with lower prices.
- Coordinate the rollout of pilots, new products and new pricing initiatives. Changes in our product offerings necessitate collaboration between the Commercial, Operations, Customer Experience and Software teams, you will manage each of these teams to deliver products on time.
- Be the voice of the customer for the Global Product Team, if a product isnt working, tell us why. If theres an opportunity that were overlooking, present it to us. You are responsible for ensuring that the customer in your country is served by our new product development.
- Iterate. At Fenix we believe in progress over perfection; constantly monitor your products performance and make small, measured design changes whenever beneficial. Dont try and do everything at once.
- Share insights. If youve made changes to a product that have been successful, pass the lessons youve learned on to the teams in other markets.
Required Skills & Experience
- 4+ years of experience working in product or portfolio management roles.
- Commitment to serving the needs and improving lives of rural households across Africa.
- Ability to collaborate with cross-disciplinary, diverse teams.
- Leadership and project management experience (in particular planning, scheduling and execution): we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to a particular project or team.
- Exceptional quantitative analysis skills and an understanding of effective technical communication and data visualization methods.
- Experience building & maintaining pricing and sales models.
- Experience managing the P&L of a product or portfolio of products.
- Experience piloting products or programs with smart, iterative design processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English, French a plus. [AND French IF Francophone country)
- Experience living and working in Africa.
- Local language fluency for interacting with customers.
- Experience in developing (ideally financial) products and services targeted at the BOP.
- Experience working with SQL and/or Tableau.
- Competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Health insurance & evacuation cover
- Awesome off-sites rafting, climbing, kayaking
- The opportunity to travel throughout Africa
- A fun and friendly work environment with ping-pong, table football and delicious lunch and dinner cooked every day by our in-house chefs, Carol & Lilian
- This role will be based in our beautiful Kampala office, with occasional travel to our other African offices.
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at fenixintl.com/careers
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.