The Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) is a statutory body established under Section 9 of the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2013, and in line with the National Oil and Gas Policy for Uganda which was approved in 2008. The PAU’s mandate is to monitor and regulate the exploration, development and production, together with the refining, gas conversion, transportation and storage of petroleum in Uganda. This includes ensuring that petroleum operations in Uganda are carried out in accordance with the relevant laws, regulations, guidelines, statutes and in line with international best practice for the petroleum industry.
Job Summary: The Senior Health and Safety Engineer reports to the Manager Health, Safety and Security and is responsible for monitoring the technical and operational health and safety aspects of the oil and gas operations in the country. The Senior Health and Safety Engineer is also responsible for monitoring the environment in which people work and recommend changes to keep workers from being exposed to sickness or injuries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiates continued review of the adequacy of policy, regulations, standards, strategies, guidelines and plans regarding technical & operational safety in the oil and gas sector
- Participates in the review of technical reports to ensure that technical safety issues are integrated into planning, design and implementation of oil and gas activities
- Identifies and correct potential hazards by inspecting facilities, machinery, and safety equipment
- Advises on emergency preparedness, response plans and oil spill response plans for oil and gas operations;
- Monitors compliance of PAU and the licensees to health and safety legislations, standards and procedures by carrying out monitoring, inspection and audit of activities in the oil and gas sector;
- Undertakes Root Cause Analysis of incidents in the oil and gas sector and recommends corrective actions;
- Analyzes Health and Safety performance statistics (FAR, LTI, RWDC, MTC, FAC, Near Misses) and designs measures to promote a safe working culture in the sector;
- Initiates the review of relevant Health and Safety procedures, manuals and guidelines and ensures that they meet legislative and best practice requirements;
- Ensures periodic Safety Audits and follows-up on identified safety issues are undertaken
- Coordinates inspections of workplaces, machinery and facilities of PAU and industry players to ensure they have the required safety devices installed on them
- Ensures adequate evaluation and analysis of workplaces as well as the programs and procedures designed to control, eliminate, and prevent disease or injury to employees.
- Ensures that staff and their supervisors are sensitized about the inherent work place risks and how to improve working conditions and practices.
- Advises on suspension of activities that pose threats to workers’ health and safety
- Investigates workplace accidents to identify causes and determine how such accidents can be avoided in the future
- Recommends measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials
- Conducts safety training or education programs and demonstrates the use of safety equipment
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) Senior Health and Safety Engineer Management job placement must hold a Master’s degree in Safety Engineering or Chemical Engineering or any other relevant degree from an internationally recognized University.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Hons) in an Engineering discipline from an internationally recognized institution.
- At least five years of working experience in health, safety and security management, 3 of which should have been served at supervisory level in a reputable organization.
- A qualification in the oil and gas sector from an internationally recognized institution;
- Membership to professional international body.
- Relevant Health, Safety Certification is desirable; and
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Ugandan health, safety legislation, guidelines and standards.
- Innovative and with a proven high level of integrity.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Proven track record of outstanding performance.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Possess good administrative and negotiation skills.
- T rack record of training and mentoring others.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in the relevant computer packages like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access, among others.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the link below.
Click Here (Register) -> Proceed to Application
- ONLY online applications will be considered.
- Applicants are required to scan and attach CERTIFIED copies of the required academic documents only e.g. Degree, Transcript, Diploma, A-level and O-level certificates and PLE results slip.
- Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
- Only short listed and successful candidates will be contacted.
- All appointments shall be subject to a probationary period of not more than six months and subsequent confirmation in service will be based on satisfactory performance of the individual.
Deadline: 15th January 2019 by 11:59 pm.