Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab) and Outreach.
About USAID Project:
The University Research Co., LLC (URC), a US-based public health organization working in Uganda since 2005, is implementing the five- year USAID funded project ( The Defeat TB project). The purpose of this project is to support the government of Uganda’s TB control program to increase TB case detection and improve treatment outcomes through health system strengthening, with the aim of ending the TB epidemic in Uganda. The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) has partnered with the University Research Co. LLC (URC) on this project to provide technical support for Operations Research and to contribute to capacity building for healthcare workers in private health facilities in Kampala, Wakiso and Mukono.
USAID/ Defeat TB project together with IDI plan to carry out a study title “Developing a community based directly observed therapy (DOT) model for the management of multi drug resistant TB in Uganda”.
Job Summary: The Research Assistants will primarily collect data for the study entitled “Developing a Community Based DOT Model for the Management of Multi-Drug Resistant TB in Uganda (CBDOTs) protocol”. Successful participants will be expected to carry out patient interviews using visual illustrations and to perform level 1 QA/QC on the data collected prior to submission for further analysis
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in a two-day protocol training workshop.
- Engage with management at the respective regional referral hospitals and ward in charges through an entry meeting to ensure that a seamless data collection process is carried out
- Recruit study patients according to the eligibility criteria laid out in the protocol.
- Obtain written informed consent for those eligible and are willing to participate in the study
- Administer all study procedures to patients recruited into the study.
- Fully document all patient responses on the data collection tool including statement that may be made verbatim
- Perform level one quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) to ensure all fields in the questionnaire complete and accurate
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or a related field.
- We plan to carry out data collection across 5 regions in Uganda (Arua, Lira, Mbale, Hoima and Mulago). In addition to speaking English, successful participants should be able to speak additional languages from the regions where they will be deployed.
- Arua – Madi and Lugbara (1 RA)
- Lira- Acholi and Langi (1 RA)
- Mulago- English and Luganda should suffice (2 RAs)
- Hoima- Runyoro (1 RA)
- Mbale- Gishu (1RA)
- Previous experience collecting qualitative data and quantitative data
- Able to work independently while at the referral hospital
- Experience working with patients with TB or MDR TB will be an added advantage
How to Apply:
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate. Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send their CVs, which should include details of email address (if any), present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address (Email your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s save the environment).
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre, Makerere University Main Campus; College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda
- IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
- Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
- Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached as one document
- Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject for your email
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: 25th June 2019