Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-governmental, non-political, non-religious and non-profit making organization with the main aim of protecting and seeking durable solutions for Refugees and IDPs in Africa in partnership with UNHCR the UN refugee agency.
Job Summary: The Internal Control Manager is responsible for creating a disciplined approach for monitoring organization processes through reviews, assessments, audits and investigations to facilitate the prevention and detection of fraud. S/he will have overall responsibility to ensure good governance, monitoring of program implementation and compliance to SOPs so as to help Country Programs meet donor requirements and further help keep them from engaging in potentially illegal or unethical activities
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review existing accounting and financial controls and other standard operating policies and procedures in place and make any necessary recommendations for revisions or additions;
- Assess the adequacy and extent of programs designed and their implementation in line with approved workplans to safeguard organization assets
Internal Audits and reviews:
- The internal control manager will conduct regular internal audits and reviews to assess the compliance of Country Programs and individual employees;
- S/he will test findings from audit exercises, facilitate the remediation of control gaps, and escalate possible critical issues;
- Training and development: Internal Control manager will act as an objective source of guidance and advice for CMTs in recommending specific training and development needs to fill compliance gaps;
- The Internal Control Manager will act as go-between for the organization and external government and auditing agencies;
- S/he will also communicate with such external stakeholders with insights into changing regulations, standard compliance practices and other changes that may impact the merit of current internal control policies
- Preparing reports: S/he will analyze and evaluate accounting documents, preparing reports that reflect the audit results and document the proposed process.
Researching on Emerging Issues: The Internal Control Manager shall research on latest trends and issues in the industry and determine scope of internal control.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or a similar subject
- Professional accounting/audit qualifications (IIA/CPA/CA/ACCA etc.) shall be an added advantage
- A minimum of four years of experience in managing internal control roles
- Good knowledge and experience of program implementation at field/Country Office level
- Experience in fraud awareness and case investigation management
- Computer proficiency; highly competent using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience working with QuickBooks financial systems
- Experienced in preparing both financial and management accounts of International NGOs (IFRS knowledge important)
- Bilingual: Fluent in written and oral English and French)
- Significant experience in fraud and corruption prevention
- Significant experience in audit management
- Initiative – S/he should be able to work independently and should take the initiative and make decisions;
- Self-driven change-agent and strong people management skills
- Excellent communication skills, initiative, the ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently is essential
- Strong analytical, problem solving and financial modelling skills
- Analytical thinking – Should have an analytical mind-set and numerical skills useful in manipulating large amounts of data and creating reports
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications and updated CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org but also fill the form below online.
Deadline: 28th June 2019