The Compliance Manager’s position is responsible for leading FINCA Uganda’s Compliance function, providing strategic direction and focus. The compliance Manager is responsible for the implementation and maintenance of a Compliance risk management frame work within the institution, he develops the institutions wide compliance coverage plans that help the institution remain compliant and avoid regulatory sanctions.
Key Duties and responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership and direction for the compliance department.
- Perform general management activities in relation to the compliance and AML team
- Implement and oversee a consistent operating framework across FINCA Uganda which satisfies the minimum standards for compliance risk management. This includes but not limited the use of technology, conducting effective processes, appropriate organization structure etc.
- Oversee Implementation of the compliance and AML frameworks and monitor levels of compliance across FINCA Uganda network and manage correction of gaps.
- Monitor that policies are applied consistently across all business units.
- Keep the Managing Director and other senior executives informed of compliance matters which pose financial or reputational risks to FINCA Uganda.
- Act as the primary Compliance contact person in the institution and participate in relevant Regulatory Compliance forums/meetings.
- Promote a high compliance performance culture within the compliance department and FINCA at large.
- Develop an appropriate and effective compliance officer training strategy.
- Provide management reports in a timely manner to both management and other key stake holders like the regulator, etc.
- Stay abreast of all legislative and regulatory developments both locally and globally that might have an impact on the institution; in this regard liaise with Head of legal for new legislations, regulations and their interpretations.
- . Monitor non-compliance and escalate any issues where non-compliance is not addressed.
- Liaise with Risk Management and Internal Audit on risk related issues, as well as non-compliance with internal policies, legislation, rules and regulations.
- Assist Line Management to comply with applicable statutory, regulatory and supervisory requirements and to avoid sanctions.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
a) Good leadership and Management skills
b) Good inter personal relationships/Working with People
c) Adhering to principles & core values
d) Communication Skills; Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, to clearly express logically reasoned ideas.
e) Analytical and pays attention to details
f) Learning & Researching
g) Formulating Strategies
h) Decisive and Initiating Actions.
i) Ability to work well under pressure
k) Flexibility to travel
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
1. Minimum of a degree in Business Studies or Administration – Accounting Option or Banking, professional qualifications like ACCA.
2. A Masters’ Degree will be an added advantage
3. Minimum of 5 years work experience in a Financial/Banking sector at Management level
4. A general knowledge and understanding of banking, as well as legislation, rules and regulations impacting on banking.
5. Ability to influence Senior and Executive Management
6. Good knowledge of compliance and AML requirements and a sound appreciation of the overall regulatory agenda and objectives.
7. Good understanding and practice of financial laws